Enforcement of Family Court Orders in Ohio

How a Columbus Family Law Lawyer Can Help You

When a party fails to comply with a court's order (e.g. payment of child support, visitation schedule, payment of spousal support, etc.) the offended party may file a citation in contempt. A hearing will be held to determine if there has been a failure to abide by a court order.

If the individual is found to be in violation, he or she may be:

  • Sentenced to jail
  • Ordered to pay monetary sanctions and/or attorney fees
  • Required to take some other steps to reinstate compliance

In matters involving support payments, there may be action taken to garnish the wages of the obligor (the person ordered to pay support) if he or she is not complying with court orders. In some cases, if a parent is not compliant with the visitation schedule - e.g. doesn't drop off the child when or isn't picking up the child for designated weekends - the court may take action to enforce the action. The enforcement of orders is a powerful method as it poses the defending parent or spouse with an option of complying or face jail time, fines, or wage garnishment.

Learn more about court order enforcement by calling us at (614) 344-4311.

Proof Needed for Contempt of Court in Ohio

It is a difficult situation, but there are steps an individual must take before the offended party can file a citation in contempt. One of these is providing the evidence necessary to show that the other party knew that the order existed, they willingly violated the order despite their ability to comply, and they lacked an excuse for the violation. If you are the accuser in this case, you should be sure to compile the proof you need to support your claims.

Take the Steps Necessary to Move Forward

Before you move forward, make sure you know what needs to be done to help build a strong case strategy. You don't want to go into this type of case unprepared. By taking the proper steps, you may give your case an increased chance of success.

The steps you should take include:

  • Read the order correctly to make sure the violation did occur
  • Speak with legal counsel to represent your claims
  • Negotiate a potential agreement to resolve the problem without contention
  • File the contempt motion with the correct court
  • Have the paperwork served to the offender
  • Attend the necessary hearings

If you need help with contempt and enforcement of orders, speak with our Columbus family law attorneys at the Grossman Law Offices. Backed by more than four decades of experience, our firm has the experience and resources to help you achieve the favorable resolution you desire.

Get started today. Contact us online to request an initial consultation.