Same-Sex Divorce Lawyer in Columbus, OH
Proudly Serving the Family Law Needs of the LGBTQ Community
Same-sex marriage became legal in Ohio after the United States Supreme Court struck down Ohio’s ban on June 26, 2015. The ruling in Obergefell v. Hodges marked a fundamental shift in helping all families across the country secure equal rights. Now that same-sex marriage is legal, the need for same-sex divorce and family law services has followed. We are prepared to skillfully and compassionately meet that need in Columbus, Ohio.
Fill out our online form to request a case evaluation from one of our attorneys at Grossman Law Offices today.
Whether you are considering filing for divorce or if you’re already well on your way through the process, having experienced legal representation on your side can help you navigate any complications that may come up. At Grossman Law Offices, our Columbus divorce attorneys have provided families and individuals with the knowledgeable and passionate assistance they require in their time of need for more than four decades. Contact us today to discuss your next step with a member or our firm and plan for the future.
Key Issues You May Face During Your Divorce
The Supreme Court’s Obergefell ruling stated that all couples across the United States have equal marriage rights, meaning that every couple across the United States will face the same issues if they choose to file for divorce. While no two divorces are exactly the same, some of the most common situations you may need to prepare for include:
- Visitation Rights and Parenting Time: Except for certain extreme cases, courts have consistently determined that it’s in the children’s best interest to remain in contact with both of their parents after the divorce is finalized. While it’s rare for a parent to lose all visitation rights, the main fight in these situations often revolves around how much time each parent will receive with their children.
- Property Division: There are a number of factors the court will take into account when determining how to divide assets and debts during the divorce process, including how much each spouse contributed financially to the marriage, how long your marriage lasted, any contributions you or your spouse made to the other’s career or education, etc.
- Child Custody: There are a number of factors the court will take into account when determining which parent will receive primary custody of their children, including each parent’s ability to meet their children’s developmental needs, the mental and moral fitness of each parent, the children’s preference, etc.
- Child Support: The parent who receives primary custody of their children will often receive child support payments as well, but the amount they receive may vary depending on several influencing factors, including extracurricular activities, school payments, day care, etc.
- Alimony: In cases where one spouse ends up receiving alimony payments, the court will need to determine just how much that spouse will receive. Some factors they may consider include the assets and finances of each spouse, how long the marriage lasted, the standard of living during the marriage, etc.
Hire An Experienced Columbus Divorce Attorney Today
Divorce can easily become an incredibly stressful and emotionally taxing experience. However, having experienced legal representation on your side can help mitigate any complications that arise and help you navigate the process to secure the most beneficial outcome for you and your family. At Grossman Law Offices, our Columbus divorce lawyers have dedicated their careers to providing individuals and families with the passionate and dedicated representation they require.
Fill out our online form to request a case consultation, or call us at (614) 344-4311 to speak with a member of our firm today.
Backed by more than 40 years of legal experience
Careful consideration of your financial resources
Quick and effective responses for all situations
Performing well above traditional standards
Courteous, professional, and ethical behavior
Voted among the “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News