Attorney Jodi Smilack has extensive experience in a wide area of family law matters including divorce, child custody, child support, visitation, spousal support, dissolution, and paternity. Jodi approaches every matter pragmatically while still taking into account the sensitivities and complexities of each matter. She stresses communication and organization throughout every phase of the process. Jodi was voted to the Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars list from 2015 through 2018.
Jodi received her Juris Doctor degree from The John Marshall Law School, located in Chicago, where she earned the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Constitutional Law II and was an Octo-Finalist in the Dean F. Herzog Moot Court Competition. She also participated in the Domestic Violence Legal Clinic, where she assisted in the representation of domestic violence survivors.
While attending law school, Jodi clerked for a family law firm in Chicago, researching questions of law related to property division, child support, and other family law issues; drafting pleadings, agreements, and subpoenas related to various family law matters; and working with clients to answer discovery requests. This experience, coupled with her law school education, heavily contributed to Jodi’s passion for family law and helping people move forward during difficult parts of their lives.
Jodi was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. Although she lived in multiple states across the country, from California to New York, she always felt that Columbus, Ohio is her one true home. In her free time, Jodi enjoys spending time with her family, distance running, yoga, barre, hiking, attending concerts, and exploring the food culture around Columbus.
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2004
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2009
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Institute for Family Law Associates, 2013
- Columbus Bar Association Barrister Leadership Program, 2013
- Ohio State Bar Association Leadership Academy, 2020
Publications & Public Speaking
- Speaker at the NBI Seminar “Divorce Law Boot Camp” in December on the issue of “Discovery Procedure and Finding Hidden Assets,” 2020
- Contributor to the Columbus Bar Association publication, Better Lawyer, 2012
Admitted to Practice
- Illinois State Bar, 2009 (voluntarily inactive)
- Ohio State Bar, 2010