two people's hands holding money

How to Modify Child Support in Ohio

Parents have a legal obligation to support their children, whether both parents are married or not. Failing to do so can result in serious consequences, including involvement by a child support enforcement agency, tax refund interception, and in extreme cases, incarceration. But what happens if you have lost your job, for example, and can no longer pay your obligation without hardship?

If you have recently endured a change in financial circumstances that has made it difficult for you to meet your child support obligation, you may be wondering if it is possible to have your child support order modified. The answer is yes, you may be eligible to obtain either a temporary or permanent modification under certain circumstances. You must be able to show a “substantial change in circumstances” has occurred.

The following circumstances may warrant a child support modification:

  • The paying parent experienced a substantial decrease in income
  • The receiving parent experienced a substantial increase in income
  • The paying parent suffers a sudden illness or disability
  • The child now resides with the paying parent

A change in circumstance is considered “substantial” when the calculated actual support obligation varies 10 percent or more from the existing child support obligation. Either party may file for a modification. In order to initiate the process, the filing party will need to complete an affidavit of financial disclosure and submit it to the court along with a number of other forms. It is a good idea with work with an experienced attorney who can ensure that all paperwork is filled out completely and correctly. Your attorney can also represent you during the court hearing, presenting evidence on your behalf to support your case.

Discuss Your Case with a Columbus Child Support Lawyer

If you are seeking a child support modification in Columbus, Grossman Law Offices is here to help. Call our firm to schedule an initial consultation during which we can discuss your circumstances and whether you are eligible for modification. Backed by decades of combined experience and a sole focus on family law cases, our firm can be counted on to deliver knowledgeable, effective representation.

Call today to speak with a Columbus child support lawyer: (614) 344-4311.